Monday 16 December 2013

Made it to Paris. Such a beautiful city. We caught two red London buses to St Pancreas at 4 this morning and then caught the Eurostar to Paris after having my favourite pink travel knife confiscated. It made it through a month of Zambia only to be thrown into a London customs bin :(  We have just got our room at the Perfect hotel in Rue Rodier and are heading off to Sacre Couer.
On the Eurostar for Paris
Gare de Nord train station,  Paris

Our hotel really is perfect. It was about 5 minutes walk to the Sacre Couer. We spent the day walking the streets of Montmartre,  starting with the Sacre Couer. We bought baguettes for lunch, and then found some cheap shoes on the advice from our concierge. She is a lovely lady, originally from Ivory Coast who said we won't get into the Moulin Rouge with my Colombia boots. This being Paris, I wish I'd had time for some decent shopping, but for 5 euros I got a pair that I won't mind throwing away if my bag gets too full. Was so convinced I could manage this trip with just one pair. We also bought some red wine, Lindt, tomatoes and strawberries at a Carrefour. Roy seems to be fighting a cold, so we took a break having a good coffee with seats outside a restaurant right underneath the Sacre Couer.
 Sacre Couer, we had coffee at a restaurant just to the left of this picture. 
We freshened up at our hotel and got dressed for the evening. Trip advisor had good recommendations for restaurant 'Hugo' where we booked dinner. While waiting for them to open we explored the streets and had a glass of red wine at a restaurant on the street. 

Dinner was very nice, although the tables were so close together we were basically sharing a table which was a bit awkward at first.  The meal was great though and we rushed off afterwards to get to the Moulin Rouge on time. 
At the Moulin Rouge
It was fun, although we did feel like cattle being herded in. We were seated at what should be a four seater with four other people. I genuinely had neck ache by the end of the show and felt way too familiar with the Italian lady sitting next to me. The champagne was drinkable, but while the show is very pretty, I couldn't help feeling it was all a bit sleezy and tacky. Maybe I was in the wrong mind set.  We had fun anyway. After the show we walked back to the first restaurant to find Roys beanie but it was closed.


Will post pics from outside Moulin Rouge when I get them off Roys phone.

1 comment:

  1. Oh lovely. You will soon be making us jealous. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete