Sunday 12 January 2014

Beijing


We were woken at six, with my predictable numb ear. This trip had a pillow filled with sand. I slept on my duvet, doubling it up as a pillow and my soft hat thing which only slightly helped. We had ample time to  make coffee and charge phones a little as the train arrives in Beijing at 7.20. We said goodbyes, zipped up bags and made our way out the station. We found a small left luggage which was about R800 for 4 days. Seemed a bit high, but was too difficult to try find another one . So we were in Beijing!
Beijing style
Walked off towards Tiannenman Square and bought delicious breakfast for 7 yen. It was pancake, egg, sauces, chicken and a large crackly thing. Was delicious. Almost at the "Forbidden City" we were approached by a rickshaw guy who said only 3 yen. He took us through the back streets up a block or two and then stopped in a side street and produced a card showing the ride was 300 yen each. Ja sure, dude. We told him to take a hike. He even made out he'd do us a favour and charge 300 for both of us.  I've decided that in future when these I've scam me, I will walk off without paying as a way to stop this crap, because I'm sure there are people who get caught. Anyway,  we gave him 40 and walked off. After a few unpleasantness, he pointed out the direction we should go, calling me friend. I corrected that misconception!
We were soon approached by a tour guide offering guiding in the Forbidden City. When we declined she asked if we wanted to see the wall and gave us some quotes and and email address. We asked her about the rickshaw and she said the police are trying to stop it, and commended us for what we did.

The "Forbidden City" seemed a little smaller initially to what Roy had expected, but it is deceptively large as a whole. We wandered around for hours, Discovering more rambling buildings and exhibitions.
Garden at Forbidden City

A welcome coffee break helped our tired feet, although for China coffee over R50 a cup seems quite high. It was good though.


Theatre at Forbidden City

About 4 we walked out the city to Tianenman Sq. 3 Chinese ladies were walking along and started up conversations with us, saying they were on holiday from the south of China. 2 spoke very good English. I was a little frustrated having to make conversation instead of taking in my first view of the Sq but they were very chatty. It came out we were going for a late lunch and they suggested we all go together. In the next road was a tea room they chose and we sat in what seemed the only room. A menu was brought and I chose Tofu with rice, and Roy chicken. The friends asked what we wanted to drink and Roy ordered a beer while I declined. A few snacks were put on the table and tea was brought. They brought tiny glass bowls and the lady next to me poured tea for everyone and kept filling up our glasses. Only 1 of the ladies ordered food which was a little odd, but they said they had eaten earlier. Next thing some awful red wine in martini glasses was served. I declined and Roy struggled his way through. Roy went to he looks and although I wanted to go to, I didn't think it sensible to leave our belongings with 3 strangers. Good move! Soon the bill arrived, 2000RMB! When I realised, I said to Roy to hold off. I pretended to go to the loo. The "friend" insisted on taking me as it was up the alley next to the restaurant. I snuck off to find help, but there were no police around and no English. I saw a young person with glasses (code in China for student = speaks English) in the restaurant next door and asked her if she thought it a scam, which she did. So I walked back in aggressive, and said that we thought this a scam and we not paying. They tried the guilt trip thing that they would have to pay if we didn't,  but when they realised we were not falling for it they quickly got nasty. Geez, twice in 1 day! Roy had given 400 and we said that was it and they were welcome to come with us to find a policeman to mediate. They weren't accepting, not surprisingly. We walked out and they followed. I threatened to take their photos and they cheekily threatened the same back. No shame. We followed them for a while back towards Tianenman but lost sight just before we reached the police block. We approached the young policeman (with glasses) who spoke a little English. He radio's someone and asked us to wait and that we'd get our money back, even though we explained we just wanted them to know about the restaurant for the next poor sod. We waited and some English speaking police arrived and asked us to come with them and show the place. We all went back and they confronted the ladies. I heard the older policeman shouting at the other woman. The policeman with us asked how much we would like back. I asked him what he thought fair for dishes and the beer and we agreed on 200. He told her to return  200.  She still tried to give back only 100 and he stopped her. Thought they would have been more scared of the police. So was very impressed with the police service, but left with a bad taste from the whole experience. And in the tussles I lost my beanie which is annoying. Feeling a bit jaded we visited Tianenman and then back to the shopping area. Walked around the night market with trinkets and scorpions on sticks but it was very touristy. Tired, we caught the underground to the station and are sitting at a coffee shop while Roy enjoys a beer and putting our feet up.
Roy noticed that literally everyone in he restaurant was on their phones. While sitting, he saw not a single person in the restaurant talking to each other.
Cell phone coffee shop

No comments:

Post a Comment