Wednesday 1 January 2014

Day 1 of the train to Siberia

As described in yesterdays blog, after a bottle of red wine, I climbed into bed (I got the top bunk) at about 2 in the morning. The 'mattress' felt like a rock, and it was warm in the train so I put both our duvets down and lay on them with just a sheet covering me. I got cold in the night and found something to cover myself only to find in the morning it was a floor rug.:) Worked out later it was for on top of the Rock mattress, but didn't help much. The pillow was also made of rocks, solid. We'd wake up all night with numb ears or no feeling in the back of our heads. Roy called it Chinese torture as our conductor was Chinese.
Our luxury coach
I woke up feeling a little worse for ware, but a strong coffee went a long way to fixing that. We had a relaxing day, watching the cold weather pass by our window. Snow covered trees and forests was the general view, occasionally stopping in towns on average every 4 or 5 hours apart for about 20 minutes. There is a schedule on our carriage wall. Our Dutch neighbour would rush out for a quick cigarette and they would often buy some food or drinks. I read a lot and caught up on some sleep. We had canned tuna with bread, cheeses and cold meat along with fruit, chocolates and various other goodies we'd brought along. This is a most enjoyable way of travelling.
At one of the stops

No comments:

Post a Comment