Wednesday 8 January 2014

Train to Harbin


We dragged our bags down the hill to the station in the dark, working up a sweat. Almost at the station was a flight of stairs down the embankment, covered in ice. A young man walking down fell at the top and then again at the bottom few steps. We took it slowly. At the station, the dreadful announcer was shouting her instructions non stop again,  but we didn't have as long to endure this time.
On the train we got our bags under the seats and were joined by a Russian lady, Tanya and her young daughter, Anya. Having been up blogging all night, I tried to sleep through Anya and her new friend up the passage playing screaming games, but suppose it was morning. By afternoon she had a long sleep so it was peaceful, but boy, did she have something in store for us. Once she woke, the constant jabbering didn't stop and at one stage I swear I heard her say 'That is kak'. There must be a Russian word that sounds like Kak cos I often hear it and smile. (I've since heard Kak means how in Russian)
Roy and I decided to watch Octopussy.  We put on our headphones and tried to listen, but Anya turned into the brat from hell and the jabbering turned nasty and she started chanting the same Russian sentence in the most whiney voice while her mother tried to ignore her and sleep. After about repeat 200, and having the movie on pause yet again as we couldn't hear, I finally snapped and told her to sush. I think it helped as Tanya eventually got her to shut up not too much later. We soon went to bed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment