Sunday 5 January 2014

Port Baikal

We slept for 12 hours! By about midday we ventured out into the cold and went for a walk to the village.

Sweet dog we met on the way
A lovely black dog joined us most the way and enjoyed looking at the steam engine with us (and peeing on it for good measure)



Roy and dog exploring cold shores
The only restaurant was closed, so instead of lunch, we walked home, stopping to buy a beer and some goodies at a store we found. Roy got a smoked fish which was very nice.

Frozen eyelashes.
Let me try explain how cold this is. Walking back to my cottage from the shower, my newly washed underware was frozen solid. As soon as I'm in the cold my nose runs and I need to sniff. So I sniff and then wonder how the hell I got a pee stuck up my nose! I think the condensation from breathing catches and freezes on my nose hairs. It's just crazy cold. Exposed skin stings and goes pink when it warms up.
Walking up to our cottage
The closest toilet
Back of our cottage
Our cottage.
Writing the blog
Tatiana showing us her tea, which was delicious
 Tatiana would talk away to us in Russian and I'd wonder why she thought I would ever understand,  repeating the same Russian louder in the hopes that would help, but quite often I'd surprisingly end up getting the message. She had a wonderful cackle. 
Their lovely collection of samovars
In front of Tatianas interesting fireplace
We had dinner at Tatianas which again was very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment